Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy 4 Months!

Although considering I'm typing this at 3:41am means it's not really a "Happy" day. After coming home from the babysitter's [aka abuelita's] you took a nap and then ate. You were a happy boy and I even got the nice video that I posted below of you in your Baby Einstein Activity Center. You then went down for a nap and woke up soon after crying. That was red flag #1. Your eyes were very watery and you were extremely congested. You wouldn't eat even though it was time. I put some saline drops down your nose and attempted to suction some boogers, but it was too much. I did what I could. You were tired so dad tried to get you back to sleep while I cleaned the humidifier. While the humidifier got to working, I ran hot water in the shower and brought you in so the steam would ease up the congestion. It worked great, but it was beginning to look like you were now in pain. The rest is one whirlwind of exhaustion.

You have cried more today than ever. You would fall asleep, 5 min later we put you down, you immediately open your eyes and start to screaming your head off. That is so not you! We don't even put you to sleep in our arms anymore. And the crying...you sure gave your lungs a good workout! So this went on from about 4:30pm until after 11pm. No sleeping, no eating, just crying and fussing. The good thing was you continued to have wet diapers so I wasn't extremely concerned. Just felt really sad and hopeless that we couldnt figure out what was wrong. A cold, flu, virus, infection?

Your dad and I narrowed it down to your stomach. There was a lot of grunting, and you only fell asleep when bounced. I could also hear your intenstines having a party. So we gave you a warm bath. You still wouldn't eat or sleep, afterwards, so I made you some camomile tea with some gripe water. That immediately eased your stomach pains. You started farting and burping. But still...no sleep. Actually you slept for 15min and woke up calmly and smiling. GREAT sign. I took your temp and it was hovering around 101 so I gave you tylenol [6:20pm] and continued to try and get you to sleep.Finally, I just put you to sleep on my chest [around 9:30pm]. I let you sleep for an hour before attempting to put you down. Yeah...you woke up. You finally ate about 2oz and fell asleep with your dad just after 11pm.

You pouted and grunted the whole time you slept. At 12:45am you woke up crying again. I got up to wash your bottles and when I returned you were asleep. Again at 2am you woke up crying. I was exhuasted so dad got up and made you a bottle. He kept telling me you felt too warm so I finally got up and took your temp - kept reading around 103! We immediately set into "wipe out fever" mode. We stripped you down to your diaper to get a better reading, but after 10min your temp remained high. Scary high. Tylenol was administered and then you were put in a warm bath. You actually liked the bath. After 15min we took you out and you were smiling again and cooing. Your temp now hovered around 102. I used 2 thermometers and one read 102.6 and the other read 101.8. We left you in ur diaper for a while and then put on a onsie since our place is chilly. You ate 2.5oz and pooped. An hour later [3:20am] your temp had fallen to 100.8. Ideal is under 100.4 but that was great! Plan B was a trip to the emergency room and we all know what kind of torturous acts they perform there.

So now it's 4am and you're asleep with dad again. I hope you sleep a little longer. We are all very tired and have a long day. It's Thanksgiving afterall.

So happy 4 months Andy. I hope the rest of the day gets better. But more than anything I just want to tell you that today I will be giving thanks that we have you. Because no matter what crazy exhausting things we have to go thru everyday, nothing compares to the joy and love you have added to our lives. I am thankful I have been blessed with you. Because when you aren't sick, you are the most amazingly calm and happy baby ever. I love you and I hope you can enjoy your first thanksgiving!

And here's the "before" video. It's very long and might get boring, so feel free to forward it and don't feel obligated to watch it all. :) I was gonna edit it down, but I don't see any free time in my future and I haven't blogged in 19 days!







**Picture post to come soon!

3 comments:

Angelica said...

Awe, so sorry to hear little A wasn't feeling well. You were both muched missed yesterday morning. Next year for sure!

Wathced the video, he's freakin' adorable!

gee said...

He looks so happy in his activity center. He's too cute! Hope he is feeling better.

California Girl said...

Awwww, poor little Andy! I am happy he felt better.

Happy 4 months, big boy!