I just realized I never posted Andy's official diagnoses from when he got sick over Thanksgiving. Saturday we took him in to see his pediatrician because he was more fussy and had begun pulling on his ear. He also had a lot of crust build up on the outer rim. Turns out he had a double ear infection [I had tons of these as a kid and yes I was breastfed so obviously it doesn't make that much of a difference]. The pediatrician had to dig out wax build up so she could see in his ear, that's how much build up there was. So he was sent home on amoxicillin for 10 days.
That Thursday [last week] he had his 4 month check up. His right ear was still slightly infected and his left was still very infected so he didn't get his shots. We made an appt to return in 2 weeks when his infection should be gone and he could get his shots.
Well he is now done with the amoxicillin but he is still sick! He has developed a cough, he is very fussy, and I get a call from G that Andy has started pulling on his ears again. No good. I do also wonder if maybe he's getting a tooth. I highly doubt the infection is still raging and think maybe Andy just happened to brush his ear. He could have been going for his mouth. Or I read somewhere the pain from the gums travels to the ear. I'm gonna have to check his gums when I get home tonight. Anyone have any tips on how to check and what to look for? He has no fever and he has been drooling a lot more the last couple of days.
3 comments:
Although, Dr's say it's not good to do...try a warm drop of olive oil in the ear he is pulling on. It's been given to both babies and adults in my family and seems to work (ask steve). Julia had been hitting on her ear when she was a baby, i put a warm drop in and by the afternoon, she was no longer hitting her ear or fussy.
I know when babies start teething you could usually feel little bumps on the gums. Check to see if his are like that.
You can use a cotton ball with some warm olive oil. This can help the the pain. I did that with daughter a few times. She always suffered from ear infections from birth to the age of 3 1/2. She even had tubes inserted, twice.
I hope Andy feels better.
Susana - Thanks for the tip. I love home remedies and will try them all! As a kid, my mom use to roast a garlic clove, wrap it in cotton, and stick it in our ear [just enough so it wouldn't fall out] and it always got rid of the pain.
Gee - I don't feel any bumps so it may not be teeth. I think he still has a lingering infection. Calling his pedi today.
Post a Comment