Monday, April 20, 2009

Crib sleeping dust...

...Please send it our way. We need some - big time. I'm really at a loss as to how to handle Andy during this stage. Ever since he's been able to pull to a stand in his crib he refuses to just lay in there and sleep! What use to be a nightly routine ending with a bottle, putting him in crib and falling asleep within minutes is now a TWO hour ordeal. He will be rubbing his eyes and fussy. So we'll do our bedtime routine, he'll drink a bottle and then into the crib. Then the madness starts. It like his bottle is laced with crack. As soon as we lay him down he pops up! And it happens over and over and over and over for TWO hours! Same thing every night! Going on 8 days now. It doesn't matter how tired he is.

Today he even bumped his forehead on the crib rail (we're guessing). He's now sporting a nice speed bump on his forehead (first official injury). I watched him thru the door for a bit and he'll stand up, let go of the rail, and then just fall. Its wierd. Like he's testing his balance, which is not good. So he ends up falling on his butt or straight face-first forward. And then he gets right back up to do it all over again. It is exhausting.

And now he's crying too. Fighting us when we go in to lay him down again.

What do we do? Just wait it out until the novelty wears off? (Will it?) Continously go in and lay him down? (He seems to think its a game.) Wait until he's even more tired? (I don't want him to set a later bedtime. Don't want him to get use to it.) We had a great routine and bedtime and all that has been turned upside down in a week.

He had so much happen in 1 week. All in one day he sat himself up, pulled to a stand and showed us what "arms up" means. By the next day he was pulling himself up everywhere and cruising along furniture. Then he finally looked at me and said "mama" (This morning topped em all - Andy slept in our bed last night and this morning I woke up to a little voice saying "mama." I turned to find Andy sitting next to me with a big smile on his face. Best wake up call ever!) and he's also saying "up" and putting his arms up. This is all seriously in about 3 days! WTH! No wonder the kid doesn't want to sleep! Doesn't want to waste any time.

Please, some one tell me you went thru this and we'll be back to normal soon!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

3 comments:

Angelica said...

Now I'm no parent and have no experience with this.

So it sounds like A does think its a game. He knows you or G will come in anyway to see that he's "up." I'm not sure if you've lowered the rail yet but would you feel safe to leave him alone, until he goes to sleep on his own? You still have the baby monitors so that can be some reassurance. Also, I read that letting him sleep in too late can also affect his bedtime. Maybe you should start waking him at the time you need him up at.

Here's something I found -
"If she cries, wait five minutes, then go in and comfort her without picking her up. Don't stay in her room for more than a minute. Verbally reassure her, pat her, and leave. Wait ten minutes, then do the same thing. Then give it 15 minutes. If the longest you can stand to wait is 15 minutes, then keep it at that. If you can make it 20, go for it."

geefunk said...

Here's the thing - he has always been a GREAT sleeper! We only had to do a minimal amount of sleep training in the beginning [what you quoted at the end of your comment]. We only go into his room to lay him down if he starts to cry because he bumped his head or something. It has to be a loud hurt cry, not a whimper. So we aren't acknowledging his charades anymore. That's why I'm at a loss. Do we just wait it out? I guess I also don't feel he's 100% safe even with the mattress lowered. May have to lower even more and remove bumper now.

Daddy Dan said...

As hard as it is to do, I recommend not going in there again after you lay him down. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he's ok. It's called the cry-it-out method. Right now, his crying is bringing about his desired state - you coming back into his room.

Good luck!