Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New words

Andy spit out 3 new words today! He was really in the talking mood. This morning when we got to my mom's house (aka day care) 2 of the girls there came up to Andy to say hi. All 3 were very excited as they hadn't seen each other in a whole week (my mom was on vacation). The girls start repeating "hi" over and over (just to be annoying) and then suddenly Andy just says, "Hi!" Like he's been saying it forever! It sounded so cute and different at the same time. Getting more of a taste of how he'll sound when he talks.

Then we get home from a quick trip to Fresh&Easy and we're walking out in front of our building (waiting for dad to get home) when he spots a cat in the window (picture above). He starts calling it dog, but I quickly correct him and he tries to say cat over and over till he finally makes that hard 'c' sound and gets it! He was so proud of himself and I was just beaming! When G arrived, I asked Andy to show dad the cat and he quickly ran over to the window and pointed at the cat and said the correct word.

And third, during his bath he picked up his rubber duck and was just sort of cooing at it so I say, "duck." Andy starts out saying dog (since he sort of says dag), but tries really hard to get that 'k' sound. He finally says dack and we celebrate.

It is SO amazing how they just finally open up. It feels like Andy has been wanting to talk so bad since he turned 1. He babbles so much more. You can totally see the struggle and frustration to communicate what he wants. To make us understand his language. But more and more he is really starting to want to try and say all the words we've been teaching him instead of just pointing.

And to add on to all this, he now understands where his mouth is (he'll point to his mouth) and he knows where "la luz" ("the light" in spanish) is (he'll look up for a fixture and point at it when he finds one). The other day I was changing him and he sneezed so I said, "Salud!" (Another spanish word) And then Andy pointed up at the light fixture. I laughed because it was so cute! Salud does totally sound like la luz. And lastly, he also knows leche/milk (we use both) because he'll go straight to the fridge. :)

I know there's more and I really should document it better. I'm starting to try and blog more. Even if it's from my phone or just a picture. Too much is going on and I don't want to forget.


1yr 4wks
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

Angelica said...

Awe he's such a smartie! That little guy is amazing every day.