I took this picture this morning after he ate. We were watching the Woman's Olympic Volleyball Team beat Italy. He likes starring at the TV. Don't think that's a good thing.
I was just looking at him sleeping in his crib, and it amazes me to think that in a short time he will be up and about talking and walking...becoming his own person. To think that G and I will be shaping this little person to become a contributing member of society. Amazing this whole parenting thing is. I love it more than I would have ever imagined.
Falling in love with this little person has definitely been a process. It isn't love at first sight. I mean it is because this person came from you....was made by you...but it takes time. I feel that Andres and I both had to get to know each other. The moment I was in love happened on our 2nd day in the hospital [Monday after A was born]. I had been a little upset all day because visitors were beginning to come and everyone was holding and feeding and changing him. I still hadn't done much since I was bound to my bed for the first 24 hours, and I had been letting G feed him so he could bond. By the end of the day I felt as if everyone knew my baby better than me.
So that night after everyone left I asked G if I could feed him. I was sitting there, holding him in my arms and Andres was sucking away at his bottle when he suddenly stopped sucking and looked straight into my eyes. We starred at each other for what seemed like an eternity. It was at that moment that it instantly clicked - he was mine and I was his. He looked at me like he had known me forever, given he was only a day old. But he looked straight into me like no one else ever had, and I lost it. I started bawling at that moment. Tears of joy, love, excitement, fear of what lay ahead. It was the single greatest moment of my life. And it didn't happen the minute he came out of me.
That is what I want to make clear. It doesn't need to happen at that time....you don't have to feel those intense feelings right away. It can take time. You have both just been thru a lot! You have to have that moment with your baby, and this was our moment. I sat there thru his feeding with tears running down my face and so much love running thru me. I looked up and saw G looking at us with tears in his eyes. He witnessed history...he witnessed our moment....and he was beyond moved.
I sit here typing this with tears, once again, running down my face. Could be the hormones, but this motherhood thing...is pretty damn awesome. Just sayin'.
Happy 3 weeks Andres.
You would fall in love if you saw this face everyday. <3

3w 2d
2 comments:
I'm speechless. What a wonderful post...
Aw, that was such a sweet post. Thank you for being so genuine. Andy is one lucky little dude! And so damn cute :)
Post a Comment