Thursday, August 30, 2007

Recovery

Finally an update for all of you that have been checking in, patiently waiting. [Thank you for caring] I would have updated sooner, but internet is hard to come by these days. So her I am, at my mom's....freeloading off their internet that I still pay! Don't ask me why. I guess that means I'm not really a freeloader if I pay it. Getting sidetracked here!

On Monday I checked in to the hospital at 10am for my D&C. It was a long process and it didn't help the doc was 30 min. late. I was taken in to the first room where I had to change into a gown and get in a hospital bed. I was immediately hooked up to an IV and blood was drawn to determine my type in case I needed a transplant. O+ - I knew that already. After being lonely for about 10 min., the nurse brought in my hubby to keep me company. We waiting around for a good 2 hours. I never felt nervous which was good. It was more of an eerie calm that came over me. After talking to the anesthesiologist and finally our doc, I was rolled down the hall into the surgery room. This room was COLD! It was weird to see all the tools that were gonna be used. All the other techs in the room talking nonchalant about their plans for the day. The anesthesiologist gave me the goods - along with a little something to ease me out of the surgery [best drug ever!]. They asked me to scoot onto the the surgery bed and I looked at the clocked and I was out.

I didn't realize I had knocked out till I woke up. It felt good like waking up from a nice sleep. Fast forward about 3 min. when the flood gates open. Out of nowhere I begin crying. Tears of a deep sadness. I had no idea where it came from and I couldn't stop. I had a nice nurse that talked to me and calmed me down. After about 30 min. I was rolled out to the recovery room. G was in the hall waiting for me. I was told I needed to pass 3 tests in order to be discharged.
1. Keep down fluids
2. Pee
3. Walk on my own
Once in the room, I had 2 boxes of apple juice and slept for about 30 min. I woke up and had to pee. Good sign as I had already passed a test. I made it to the restroom with little help and the nurse said I was ready to go. She also said it helped to be young - you have a nice recovery. Soon afterwards we were discharged into the hot Cali heat.

One of the things that sorta bothered me in the hospital, was constantly being asked why I was having a D&C done. And then you tell them miscarriage and they ask if it was your first and you say yes and they feel so sorry for you. I don't want or need more people feeling sorry. I don't need to be asked why I'm having an "abortion" procedure. Sucks.

Once home on Monday I just slept some more and ate. I was starving!!! I hadn't eaten since the day before as you have to fast. So by 3pm I was ravenous! For dinner my mom sent over some caldo de pollo and rice and jello and watermelon and grapes. She's the bestest. You know who else is the bestest? G - for talking 3 days off with me to make sure I was ok and had everything I needed. Thanks babe - you are also the bestest.

Recovery has been great. I have felt virtually no pain, just super mild cramps every now and then. Bleeding has been minimal - only light spotting. So it's good! I haven't even touched my pain meds. Crazy...I know.

Today was the only draw back. I took my antibiotics this mornings and immediately began to feel sick. I was dizzy, in a cold sweat, and thought I was going to be sick. It wasn't too bad at first so I headed to work. The drive only made it worse. I stayed at work just long enough to tell my boss I was gonna have to head home. I had been fine everyday, but today something didn't sit well. Could've been a combination of little sleep and being up early after a week of tons of sleep. So I headed home to make sure I didn't have a fever [fever could mean infection = scary] and then came to my moms to freeload off the a/c! ;o) I slept all morning and then had lunch, but I still feel a bit dizzy. Let's hope this doesn't last much longer.

Maybe tomorrow I'll post from the emotional aspect of this all. That is a post of its own.

Thanks everyone that has been reading and caring and texting me well wishes. It really really does help and makes me feel so lucky to have a assome bunch of great friends. Maybe some day you all won't be so shy to drop me comment! ;o)

**Here's hoping for a better September**

No comments: